Varicose veins is the condition where your veins get enlarged and gets sort of a gnarled look. Any vein in the body can become varicose, but those commonly affected are those in the legs and feet. This is so because the posture while standing and walking increases the pressure on the veins of the lower body.
While for some people, this can simply cause a cosmetic concern, for others, varicose veins can cause pain and discomfort. Sometimes varicose veins lead to serious complications.
- Veins can be seen on the legs prominent – They can be painful at times but are mostly harmless.
- Heaviness in the legs
- The ankle joint can start to swell after standing for a long time or walking.
- Burning or itching sensation in the limbs.
- Professions that require standing for a long time.
- A sedentary lifestyle
- Constipation arising constantly
- Old age
- Irregular food habits
The all-encompassing nature of Ayurveda is that it treats any disease from its root cause and not just treating away the symptoms.
Foods that cause an impairment of Vata and Pitta in the body are to be avoided—Example of such foods are junk foods, salty foods, excess spicy foods, dry food etc. Quit smoking.
Avoid standing for long periods of time as it is a direct cause of the problem.
Ayurveda mentions many herbal drugs— like bark of the Arjun tree, Ashwagandha etc.—they help to enforce the valves of the vein and promote a healthy circulation in the veins of the body.
Therapies can also help in normalizing the circulation. Basti or colon therapy, leech therapy also known as jaoulavachara, rakstha mookshana (blood-letting treatment).
- Prepare a mix of ajwain and ginger and take it daily on an empty stomach.
- As a part of one’s water intake, include Jeera water.
- Dry ginger powder made into a paste with hot water and is applied in the case of painful ankle joint swelling.
- Do daily massage avoiding excess pressure. Use medicated oils like pinda taila, balaguluchyadi taila or madhuyashtyadi taila. These can be very effective in reducing the pain.
- Triphala churna paste is another effective herb. It can be prepared by mixing triphala with any of the above mentioned massage oils. Apply it to the affected part to relieve the pain and enhance circulation.