Characterized by a sudden and severe pang of pain and swelling, Gout is a complex form of arthritis. A tenderness arises in the joints mostly at the joint of the toe.
A bout of the attack can occur suddenly, waking you up in the middle of the night as if your big toe is on fire. The affected joint would be swollen and hot. It would be so tender that even the weight of the bed sheet on the toe would be untolerable.
Often occurring at the night, the signs and symptoms of gout include:
- Intense joint pain:In the joint of the big toe, though it can occur in any joint
- Persisting discomfort: After the bout of severe pain, subsides, the discomfort from it may last for a few days to weeks.
- Inflammation and redness: The joint or joints become swollen, tender, hot and red.
- Restricted range of motion: As gout worsens, you may not be able to move the joints as before.
If you experience intense and sudden pain in a joint, its time you visit the Joint treatmentt at the AyurAvani campus in Trivandrum. The condition if left untreated can lead to more damage to the joint and severe pain.
When you get higher levels of uric acid in the blood, urate crystals get accumulated in your joint, Gout arises.
This causes inflammation and intense pain.
The following factors will put you at a greater risk of increasing uric acid and hence leading to Gout:
- A diet rich in meat and drinking sweetened beverages with high sugar (fructose). Alcohol intake, especially beer.
- Family history of gout.
Do not that people with gout can get more severe conditions like kidney stones as the uric crystals get accumulated in the urinary tract.
The following diet guidelines can help protect you from Gout.
- Drink plenty of fluids: Make it a point to stay well-hydrated. Include plenty of water and limit sweetened beverages.
- Avoid or limit alcohol.
- Manage protein content from low-fat dairy products: Low-fat dairy products may actually have a potential to protect you against gout.
- Limit intake of meat, fish and poultry: It is not to avoid but limit consumption. Keep track your of diet.
- Maintain a desirable body weight: Losing weight can decrease uric acid levels in the body. But avoid rapid weight loss methods.
If you experience intense and sudden pain in a joint, its time you visit the Joint treatment at the AyurAvani campus in Trivandrum. The condition if left untreated can lead to more damage to the joint and severe pain.