Migraine is definitely not something that makes you smile. Termed as Ardha Bedhak in Ayurveda, it is a terrible headache which occurs mostly on one side of the head. As the intensity of the pain increases with every passing hour, migraine makes you feel really sick and, for making things even worse, it is sometimes accompanied by nausea, a sense of and, discomfort in upper stomach with an involuntary urge vomit. There are many reasons for Migraine, heredity, slow metabolism; varying blood pressure levels and stress are the main ones.
Ayurveda recommends treatments such as, shamana chikitsa and nirvana chikitsa for migraine. Both the treatments have to be done under the guidance of an Ayurvedic expert as, there is a fixed time for these treatments and, as per Ayurveda, strengthening of the nervous system is the best remedy for migraine.
The following are some of the best Ayurvedic tips for migraine relief
- Boiled tuar dal with milk is a fine mixture against migraine; the medicinal fluid has to be consumed daily after dinner.
- Inhaling the extract of medicinal plant Vaatham kolli will bring much relief for the ones suffering from migraine
- Make a small ball with crushed black jeerah (black cumin seeds), tied in a muslin cloth, and inhale it as often as possible.
- Applying Mukkutti (Biophytum senstivum) on either side of the forehead would lessen the pain caused by Migraine.
- Varanadhi Gritham (grithams are medicated ghee), Kalyana Gritham and Ksheerabala are recommended in dosages prescribed by the physician. Also Varanadhi Gritham and Ksheerabala 101 can also be used in the Nasya procedure. They can also be used for the head massage or for dhara procedure.
- Applying ayurvedic herbs such as, Moovilaveru (pseudartviscida) and Orilaveru (desmodium gangeticum) on either side of the forehead in the form of paste can also prevent migraine from getting worse. The same mixture can also be used for inhalation through the Nasya procedure.
- Dry ginger and the root of koovalam plant (also known as ˜bael in Hindi, and ˜golden apple or ˜stone apple in English with Aegle marmelose as scientific name) can be ground together and applied on the forehead.
- Massage with Balahatadi, Surasadhi, Ksheerabala oils is highly recommended by an Ayurvedic physician before taking bath in the morning.
- Consuming ayurvedic medicines such as,Chyawanprash,Agasthya Rasayana will make you migraine free
- Performing Ayurvedic yoga practices such as, pranayama consistently can be really helpful in relieving migraine attacks.
- Massage on the forehead with extract of the Ayurvedic herb Poovam Kurunnila ( Ash coloured fleabane or “ Vermonia cinerea)
- Use ayurvedic herbal oils before bath.